Friday, April 21, 2006

Day 1 It All Starts with God


On the day I left a previous Job as a manager at a factory, I took this picture.


It is a snapshot of my desk. I like the picture because it shows the busy life that I lead at that company.

A desk strewn with paper and a computer keyboard with message notes stuck in the F keys.

For two and a half years working for that company was my purpose.

Day 1 of Purpose Driven Life quotes Col 1:16: "For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible, rank after rank after rank of angels--everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him."

I started many days with God, many without. Working was my purpose. Like many men I found my identity in the work I did. For those who know me, it is painfully clear that the carpet have been pulled from under me rather decisively.

Where does my identity come from? What is my purpose now?

The first chapter starts with the following words: Its not about you.

That seemed to answer a yearning I had. It is so easy to lose yourself in your circumstance, and if you find your purpose in what you do for yourself by yourself, where is your purpose when you are forced to rely on someone else, God, completely?

Chapter 1 ends with a point to ponder: In spite of all the advertising around me, how can I remind myself that life is really about living for God, not myself?

What can we do? I look forward to this book helping me realise my God given role in this life, something more than a day job. A true purpose perhaps?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home