Monday, April 24, 2006

Day 3. Wat Drives Your Life?

Day three is a looooooooong chapter. It talks about what drives you. It lists the five common factors that drive people, here they are below with a short note on each:

Many people are driven by guilt.

This is for people whe spend their lives being manipulated by memories. They run from regrets and hide their shame.

Many people are driven by resentment and anger.

People who hold on to their hurts and do not release it through forgiveness.

Many people are driven by fear.

Regardless of their fear, fear driven people tend to miss great opportunities because they are afraid to venture out. They play it safe, avoiding risks and trying to maintain the status quo.

Many people are driven by materialism.

Their desires for material things become the whole goal of their lives.

Many people are driven by the need for approval.

The allow the expectations of others to control their lives. Especially unpleasable parents, that is one my wife tends to struggle with.

These five points are each discussed in detail in the book, and that is only half of the chapter. So you can see why this chapter is difficult to wade through. Next the chapter lists the benefits of purpose driven living.

They are summed up as follows:

Knowing your purpose gives meaning to your life.

If you have no purpose, you have no meaning. I struggle with this one. I am unsure of my purpose in general. That is why I am reading this book.

Knowing your purpose simplifies your life.

Thats true, and it makes sense too! If you know your purpose you can weed out the activities that do not ad to you reaching your goals. Easy to understand innit?

Knowing your purpose focuses your life.

That really builds on the previous one. It makes sense in the same manner that the above statement does, but it needs to be discussed seperately. It allows you to realise that you need to focus your effort and energy on what is important.

Knowing your purpose motivates your life.

Purpose produces passion. Nothing energises like a clear purpose. Knowing you are working to a defined goal is a great motivator, and motivation generates energy.

Knowing your purpose prepares you for eternity.

The parable of the rich fool comes to mind. If you live solely to build an earthly legacy, you are sure to miss the boat bigtime, and this river has crocodiles in my friend, you reeeaaally wanna make a swim for it?

That about sums it up. This is a long chapter, and I suggest you read it again. For me that time of study comes when I post a blog. It gets me to really think about what I read.

Queston to Consider for today is again a biggie:

What would my family and friends say is the driving force of my life? What do I want it to be?

At this point in my personal journey I do not have a positive answer to either of these questions, so Ill leave it there for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home